Pages

24 February 2019

The Sunday Currently: #41



If I'm an advocate for anything, it's to move. As far as you can, as much as you can. Across the ocean, or simply across the river. The extent to which you can walk in someone else's shoes or at least eat their food, it's a plus for everybody. Open your mind, get up off the couch, move.” — Anthony Bourdain

*


READING
Since I'm on a social media detox, I went back to reading long form content via Medium. I've been trying to read books again but my attention span is not cooperating with me. It sucks and I hate it!


WATCHING
I've been living the offline life these past few weeks and it's been amazing! I went out to watch A Tale of Three Cities, one of the films that was shown during the recent Spring Film Festival, as well as catch the Manila production of Duncan McMillan's play, Every Brilliant Thing.

image taken from here

A Tale of Three Cities follows the real-life love story of Jackie Chan's parents in war-torn China. It’s your typical love story; man meets woman, they fall in love, and then the primary conflict arrives, where our heroes are challenged to overcome it and let love conquer all.

Most parts of the film were moving, but there were some parts that seem to be a little confusing especially when the story begins to steer away from the two characters. Thankfully, Sean Lau and Tang Wei, the film's lead actors, managed to provide the beating heart that jolts the film alive with their undeniable chemistry. But okay plot concerns aside, the film's cinematography and scoring were amazing so I'm not complaining anymore. LOL!


Two weeks after that, a former teammate of mine invited me to watch Every Brilliant Thing. The play is about a young girl who creates a list about a million of every brilliant thing about life, every time her mom comes back from the hospital from trying to commit suicide.

The lead actress for the manila production was Teresa Herrera and I loved how she made the play interactive by making the audience be part of the play. Teresa and Director Jenny Jamora is hoping that through their show, they can help promote conversations about mental health and well-being here in the Philippines.



For those who haven't seen #EveryBrilliantMNL yet, their show is extended until March 3, 2019. You can get your tickets via TicketWorld. Check the link here.


LISTENING
Wasabi by Little Mix


THINKING
I'm thinking about a lot of things but I'm not ready to talk about it right now. I don't want to say anything that might be taken out of context, among other frustrating things.

Here's one thing I can say for now: All the ugly things you say, come and say 'em to my face.


WEARING
Since I'm currently outside, I have to look decent. So I'm wearing an olive green blouse, denim shorts and rubber shoes.


SMELLING
I'm inside a cafe as I type this, so I'm smelling a variety of things. Like the French toast and the freshly brewed coffee in front me, as well as the french fries from the table on my left.


LOVING
The slow long weekend! I'm trying to enjoy it while it last since the next long weekend I'll be having would be by April.

NEEDING
To be honest, I need a lot of things right now. But the most immediate one would be Patience. Not just buckets of it, but like an ocean of it if possible.


HOPING
That I'll survive whatever is in store for me this 2019. I know it's going to be a busy and rough year for me... well according to my Chinese astrology that is. But kidding aside, these past two months has already brought an intense amount of stress in my life already and I'm having a hard time dealing with it. I'm this close in giving up already really.


WANTING
A good cry and a tight, warm hug.


FEELING
Awake because I just had two cups of coffee today. Bad move, girl. AAAHHHHHH!


CLICKING
On the links that a friend sent me. One of them was the link about yesterday's Gospel reading because I sort of complained after the mass that I didn't understand the connection of the priest's Homily to Gospel. To put a better context, it was about doing good to those who have hurt you (especially your enemies)while the priest started talking about politics and the upcoming elections in the Philippines.

See what I mean?


*


To know more about The Sunday Currently click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment